Coconut Shrimp with an irresistible, assured crunch in each chew. Tremendous crispy on the skin, succulent shrimp on the within — it doesn’t get any higher!
Coconut shrimp is at all times a crowd pleaser. Who doesn’t like crumbed, fried shrimp? Particularly shrimp dipped in batter and rolled in an fragrant mix of shredded coconut and Panko breadcrumbs. A crispy, fried appetizer that is very easy and extremely scrumptious.
We’re taking you step-by-step with this shrimp recipe!
” alt=”Coconut Shrimp | cafedelites.com” width=”1200″ height=”1800″ data-lazy-srcset=”https://cafedelites.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Coconut-Shrimp-2.jpg 1200w, https://cafedelites.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Coconut-Shrimp-2-200×300.jpg 200w, https://cafedelites.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Coconut-Shrimp-2-683×1024.jpg 683w, https://cafedelites.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Coconut-Shrimp-2-100×150.jpg 100w, https://cafedelites.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Coconut-Shrimp-2-768×1152.jpg 768w, https://cafedelites.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Coconut-Shrimp-2-1024×1536.jpg 1024w” data-lazy-sizes=”(max-width: 1200px) 100vw, 1200px” data-lazy-src=”https://cafedelites.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Coconut-Shrimp-2.jpg” />
COCONUT SHRIMP RECIPE
Simply in time on your New Years Eve plans! Whether or not you serve coconut shrimp as an appetizer or an unique dinner, there’s little doubt everybody will love this salty, candy and crunchy shrimp. One of the best half? They take lower than 30 minutes to organize, dredge and dip earlier than frying.
When you want them forward of time, you’ll be able to bread the shrimp and allow them to sit in your fridge till you’re able to fry.
Sprinkle over with salt earlier than serving and dunk them within the greatest dipping sauce for coconut shrimp — candy chili sauce.
WHAT DO YOU NEED FOR COCONUT SHRIMP?
A handful of kitchen staples like flour, baking powder, salt, pepper an egg and a few beer make up the batter. (The beer is non-obligatory, however we’ll get again to the beer in a second.)
When you love a candy and salty mixture, use sweetened shredded coconut within the breading. For savoury coconut shrimp, use unsweetened. Panko breadcrumbs develop into tremendous crispy when frying, however you probably have common breadcrumbs, use them as an alternative!
In your shrimp, use any sort of Jumbo shrimp or prawn. They’re meatier and provide you with a greater crumb to shrimp ratio in each chew.
HOW DO YOU MAKE BEER BATTER?
As talked about above, utilizing beer is non-obligatory. For style choice, go along with beer when you can. When you don’t have beer, you should use mineral water, glowing water OR soda water. Carbon dioxide bubbles make the batter develop, ensuing a light-weight and crispy batter on your coconut shrimp.
You batter must be the consistency of normal pancake batter — not too thick that it received’t run off the spoon and never too skinny that it received’t coat the shrimp. When you discover the batter is simply too thick, merely add a bit further of your liquid of selection (beer, soda water, and so on), whisking in between every addition, till accomplished.
BUTTERFLY SHRIMP — OPTIONAL
Earlier than frying, butterflying not solely helps prepare dinner the coconut shrimp evenly, it will get the crumb on extra of the floor space. Extra crumb = extra crunch. This step is COMPLETELY non-obligatory and never essential to make coconut shrimp. It’s simply private choice when you like MORE CRUNCH!
Butterfly the shrimp by opening the shrimp meat alongside the again:
- Run a knife about three-quarters of the way in which into the shrimp on the prime, and reduce a slit down the centre of the shrimp’s again to the tail.
- Utilizing your fingertip to open the flesh of the shrimp barely.
HOW TO MAKE COCONUT SHRIMP
With your whole substances prepared, this half is a breeze! Simply dredge in flour, dip in batter and coat along with your coconut/panko combination, shaking off any extra after every step.
Chances are you’ll must frivolously press the coconut/Panko onto the shrimp to verify they’re evenly coated.
FREEZE FOR 30 MINUTES OR LONGER!
Freezing the shrimp makes them the proper make forward appetizer or dinner.
Frying frozen shrimps within the scorching oil guarantee they don’t overcook, whereas giving the crumb time to grow to be that scrumptious golden color. The coating adheres higher and doesn’t crumble whereas frying.
I’ve included this step to provide the final coconut shrimp. When you don’t have time to freeze them, you’ll be able to nonetheless go forward and fry them up as quickly as you’ve completed breading them! Simply take note the crumb might start to crumble after a minute of cooking.
Use canola oil, vegetable oil or coconut oil, and add sufficient oil in your pot or skillet in order that it’s about 2-Three inches deep. For minimal clear up, use a pot or dutch oven to forestall the oil making an excessive amount of of a large number in your kitchen.
Get the oil good and scorching earlier than frying. Then, add them in batches of Four or 5 to forestall the oil from cooling down an excessive amount of, boiling the shrimp as an alternative of frying them.
Drain your coconut shrimp on paper towel lined plates.
THE BEST COCONUT SHRIMP!
Tremendous crispy and completely golden on the skin; succulent, candy and tender shrimp on the within — it doesn’t get any higher!
LOOKING FOR MORE SHRIMP RECIPES? TRY THESE!
Coconut Shrimp with a assured crunch in each chew. Tremendous crispy on the skin, succulent on the within, at all times a crowd pleaser!
Prep: 15 minutes
Prepare dinner: 15 minutes
FREEZE: 30 minutes
Complete: 30 minutes
Serves: 4 (or 6 as an appetizer)
- 1 pound (500 g) jumbo shrimp peeled and deveined, tails intact
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (plain flour)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (plain flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup beer (substitute with mineral water or soda water — you might want a bit further)
- 1 cup shredded coconut sweetened or unsweetened
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- Line a big baking sheet with parchment paper. Put aside.
- OPTIONAL: To butterfly shrimp, insert a knife about three-quarters of the way in which into the shrimp on the prime. Reduce a slit down the centre of the shrimp’s again to the tail. Use your fingertip to open the flesh of the shrimp barely. They do not must be flat. Season with salt and pepper, put aside.
- In a single shallow bowl, add 1/2 cup flour for dredging. In one other shallow bowl, whisk the batter substances collectively till mixed. The batter ought to resemble pancake consistency. If too thick, add a bit further beer or mineral water, whisking between every addition. Within the third bowl, combine collectively the shredded coconut and bread crumbs.
- Dredge within the flour (shake off extra), dip within the batter (shake off extra) and coat within the breadcrumb/coconut combination. Frivolously press the coconut onto the shrimp.
- Place onto ready baking sheet and repeat with remaining shrimp. Organize shrimp in a single layer and freeze till agency (about 30-45 minutes).
- In a dutch oven or deep skillet, warmth vegetable oil (about 2-Three inches deep within the pot) till good and scorching.
- Fry the FROZEN shrimp in batches for about 2-Three minutes on either side or till golden brown and crispy. Drain them on a paper towel lined plate.
- Serve instantly with candy chili sauce.
Energy: 417kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 30g | Fats: 11g | Saturated Fats: 7g | Ldl cholesterol: 326mg | Sodium: 767mg | Potassium: 345mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 60IU | Vitamin C: 4.6mg | Calcium: 245mg | Iron: 5.3mg